Accepting applications for the spring 2023 semester
We are currently accepting applications for the spring 2023 semester only. Students interested in the fall 2022 semester are encouraged to apply to our waitlist.
At this time, we have exhausted our financial aid resources and can only consider applications from students who are not applying for financial aid. from For more information contact email@example.com.
To apply for the HMI Semester:
- Complete our online application, including responses to the three essay questions listed below. Note: our online application platform is hosted on a secure, third-party site.
- Submit your current transcript, by having your high school email it to firstname.lastname@example.org. Your transcript should include your most recent fall semester/trimester grades.
- Solicit two teacher recommendations, with at least one coming from a core academic teacher (humanities, math, etc.) who taught you this year or last. The second may come from any current or past teacher, mentor, counselor, coach, etc. Please ask your teachers to visit www.hminet.org/teacherrec to fill out the form on your behalf. The “Application Status” box in your online application will update within 2-3 business days when we have received one or both of your recommendations.
- If applying for financial aid, please have your parent(s)/guardian(s) submit a complete financial aid application by February 15.
- There is no fee to apply to HMI, although there is a $55 fee to submit a financial aid application. This fee is automatically waived for families of a certain income level and below. If your application fee is not automatically waived, but you feel you cannot afford the expense at this time, please contact us for a fee waiver.
Application essay questions (answer all three):
You may choose to answer one of the three essays with a video recording of yourself. If you choose this option, you still need to answer the other two essays in written format. Click here for more information about this option.
1. What inspires you?
400 word maximum
2. We believe every student brings a unique perspective that strengthens our community. What makes your perspective different from that of your peers?
400 word maximum
3. Which single extracurricular activity are you most passionate about and why? This is not necessarily the extracurricular to which you commit the most time. This can be something that takes place during the academic year and/or over the summer.
400 word maximum
Meet the Admissions Office
Fall '22 and Spring '23 Program Dates
Fall Semester 2022: Aug 22 – Dec 18, 2022
Spring Semester 2023: Jan 25 – May 28, 2023
The HMI Semester is open to high school juniors and seniors. Students apply as sophomores or juniors to attend for one semester of the following year. As with college admissions, students drive the HMI application process. The student must write their own application essays, solicit their own teacher recommendations, and have their school send us their current transcript.
Applications for Fall ’22 / Spring ’23 are due by 11:59pm MST on Tuesday, February 15, 2022. Check the top of this page to see if late applications are currently being accepted.
To start your application, visit our application portal to create your account and begin.
Each year, we receive approximately twice as many applications as we have spots. Applications that stand out contain well-written essays that convey a strong interest in attending HMI. We do not require or prioritize previous outdoor experience in our admissions process. No previous hiking or skiing experience is necessary–just a openness to participating in our extended wilderness expeditions. While students with strong transcripts often score highly in our selection process, you do not have to be a straight-A student to attend HMI. We do our best to evaluate applicants holistically, taking into account teacher recommendations, personal essays, and the academic transcript.
Yes, HMI welcomes and accepts international students. HMI is approved by the U.S. State Department to obtain temporary F1 student visas for international students. International financial aid may be available on a case-by-case basis. For specific questions about the international student application process, please contact the Admissions Office at email@example.com or (719) 486-8200, x1.
For current tuition and financial aid information, visit our Tuition & Affordability page. Extensive need-based financial aid is available.
For our admissions travel calendar, visit the Admissions Presentations page.
No, but we do encourage students to submit one of their essay responses in video format.
Admissions decisions will be sent via email on Friday, March 18, 2022 at 5:00pm MDT. Applicants will also be able to view their admissions decision by logging back into their online application portal.
Enrollment agreements are due back to HMI by Friday, April 8 for both the Fall 2022 and Spring 2023 Semesters.
Admissions decisions often end up in applicants’ spam folders. If you still can’t find an email from us after checking your spam folder please let us know by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
Contact the admissions office
HMI admits students and employs faculty and staff of any gender, race, color, religion, disability-status, sexual preference, national and ethnic origin, and accords them all the rights, privileges, programs, and activities generally accorded or made available to students, faculty and staff of the school. It does not discriminate on the basis of gender, race, color, religion, sexual preference, national and ethnic origin or disability status in administration of its educational policies, scholarship and loan programs, athletics, and other school administered programs.