Applications are due Monday, February 17, 2020
For the 2020 Fall Semester and 2021 Spring Semester
To apply for the HMI Semester:
- Complete our online application, including responses to the three essay questions listed below. Note: our online application platform is hosted on a secure, third-party site.
- Submit your current transcript, by having your high school email it to firstname.lastname@example.org. Your transcript should include your most recent fall semester/trimester grades.
- Solicit two teacher recommendations, with at least one coming from a current core academic teacher (humanities, math, etc.) The second may come from any current or past teacher, mentor, counselor, coach, etc. Please ask your teachers to visit www.hminet.org/teacherrec to fill out the form on your behalf. The “Application Status” box in your online application account will notify you when we have received one or both of your recommendations.
- If applying for financial aid, please submit a complete financial aid application by February 17. Financial aid application fee waivers are available by request.
Application essay questions (answer all three):
New in 2019-20 – You may choose to answer one of the three essays with a video recording of yourself. Click here for more information about this option.
1. What do you hope to gain from the HMI Semester?
400 word maximum
2. We believe every student brings a unique perspective that strengthens our community. What makes your perspective different from that of your peers?
400 word maximum
3. Which single extracurricular are you most passionate about and why? This is not necessarily the extracurricular to which you commit the most time. Possible answers include a sport, club, volunteer work, summer camp, etc.
400 word maximum
Meet the Admissions Office
We are fully enrolled for the upcoming spring 2020 semester and are accepting applications only to our waitlist. For more information, please contact the HMI Admissions Office at (719) 486-8200 x 1 or email@example.com.
Each year, we receive approximately twice as many applications as we have spots. Applications that stand out are well-written and convey a strong interest in attending HMI. We do not require or prioritize previous outdoor experience in our admissions process. No previous hiking or skiing experience is necessary–just a openness to participating in our extended wilderness expeditions. Finally, while students with strong transcripts often score highly in our selection process, you do not have to be a straight-A student to attend HMI. We do our best to evaluate applicants holistically, taking into account teacher recommendations, personal essays, and the academic transcript.
For current tuition and financial aid information, visit our Tuition & Affordability page. Extensive need-based financial aid is available.
For a list of the cities and regions we will be visiting this year, visit our Admissions Presentations page. We hope to meet you at an admissions event, or for an informal conversation over coffee.
No, but we do allow students to submit one of their essay responses in video format.
Admissions decisions will be sent via email on Monday, March 16, 2020 at 5:00pm MDT. Applicants will also be able to view their admissions decision by logging back into their online application portal.
Enrollment agreements are due back to HMI by Monday, April 6 for both the Fall 2020 and Spring 2021 Semesters.
Admissions decisions often end up in applicants’ spam folders. If you still can’t find an email from us after checking your spam folder please let us know by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
August 17 – December 18, 2020
January 27 – May 30, 2021
Attend an admissions event in your region
HMI travels around the country each fall/winter visiting schools and hosting evening presentations for prospective students and their families. We also offer online information sessions open to all interested students and families. Visit our Admissions Presentation page for more details.